That's where a great team comes into play. I'm happy to share this post by Jonathan Kriek of KETIV This post originally appeared on the KETIV blog, Side Note.
In this post, he discusses the Open File Behavior that's been added to Autodesk Vault 2016. I'm looking forward to checking this one out myself!
So without further delay, here you go!
Configure Open File Behaviors - New in Autodesk Vault 2016
By Jonathan Kriek
A fair amount of users most likely have more than a couple versions of AutoCAD and/or Inventor installed on their system. This may be due to testing the latest version, while production requires the previous or having other business system requirements that force them to retain an older version.
My reasons are simple - providing all inclusive support to our customers by being able to troubleshoot multiple versions simultaneously. But regardless of why the fact remains that by default until now Autodesk Vault used MS Windows settings for determining which [version of a] program to open for a given file type (except 2015R2 for subscription customers which includes some early 2016 functionality).
Autodesk Vault 2016 now gives you greater flexibility in choosing which version of your Autodesk software to open.
What Autodesk software and file types are supported?
Currently "Open File Behaviors" support the following Autodesk software and file types:
- Autodesk Inventor
- IPT, IAM, IPN, and IDW
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- DWG and DXF
- Autodesk Revit
- RVT, RFA, and RTE
How do I access Open File Behaviors settings?
In the Vault Client, select Tools > Options.
Next to Open file behavior settings click "Settings".
Open File Behavior configuration options
Depending on the CAD application, you can determine whether CAD files are opened by the latest version, the last run version, or the version of the CAD Application that last saved the file.
- Last Run Version (Inventor Only):
- This option will open the CAD file with the last used version of the CAD application.
- Latest Version (AutoCAD and Revit Only):
- This option will open the CAD file with the newest version of the CAD application installed.
- Saved by Version (AutoCAD and Revit Only):
- This option will open the CAD file with the version of the CAD application that was last used to save the file.
- This option uses the current settings in Vault for opening a specified CAD file.
- Autodesk Inventor files are opened with the default application specified by Windows.
- AutoCAD files are opened with the latest version of Autodesk AutoCAD installed.
- Revit files are opened with the latest version of Autodesk Revit installed.
These settings are pretty straightforward and not all options are available for each CAD application, but let's take a look at a few examples.
If Revit 2015 and Revit 2016 are both installed on your machine, and you want files that were saved in RVT 2015 to always open with RVT 2016, you can configure Vault to always launch Revit 2016 for all .RVT, .RFA, and .RTE files by choosing "Latest Version".
The Open File behavior finally applies some adaptability to the process of opening files and determining whether CAD files are opened by the latest version, the last run version, or the version of the CAD Application that last saved the file. I hope you found this article and the new Vault 2016 Open File functionality useful!